Thursday, September 27, 2007

Kelly Israel's Art Cars & Art House

I've mentioned Kelly and his art cars before, here. Alas, he doesn't have a web site. But he does the coolest art cars AND he's doing his whole house. We talked for a long time this summer in New Orleans, standing out on Decatur Street, admiring his new old hearse, which is his next project. Along with his house. Which wasn't in the street with us, but he told me about it, OK? So I sent him a bag of acrylic rhinestones I found at an estate sale, for him to use somewhere, and last week I got two CD's in the mail--one of them is full of images of his work. Here are a few of them:
The front of his house. He's doing mosaic all over it. Isn't it FABULOUS? Don't you wish you could see it In Real Life? I do.
If you love mosaic, you've got to check out Lauri Mika's new book. Cool! She sent me a copy that arrived this week, and I can't wait to read it--the photos are lovely and enough to make this fabric artist want to try something completely new. One of these days. . . .
Anyway, so here're a couple of Kelly's vehicles in various stages of alteration.

And here's the hearse. The back window is fabulous--he's inset slices of geodes, and when you look at it from the inside, with the light shining through, they're gorgeous.

Well, maybe a little creepy if you're someone who gets spooked about sitting in the back of a hearse. . . .

Man, he does nice work.

7 comments:

Gypsy said...

I would LOVE to have that hurse! sigh...

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Kelly. I ran across your posting of my work and wanted to thank you for putting it out there. We be sending you updates as I make more progress. By the way, the cars are for sale if anyone is interested.

Ricë said...

hey, kelly! hope you get this--i sure do wish you'd do a simple website and put your stuff on it and update with photos--i'd be happy to include links whenever there's something new. love your work and energy and ideas. any new photos to share?

scott said...

I met Kelly last night and he was in the 67 bus. His work is incredible.

Anonymous said...

His Mosaic Glass 67 VW Bus is on sale at the moment on eBay


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140247550134

Great photos

Anonymous said...

hello there me friend,well i dont have a web site but i have something better,myspace...deadicateddetail where you can finealy see alote of pictures of the different art projects im starting.see yall in new orleans sometime.hopefuly next time yall are down i ll bring yall over to the house,but its still in the begining process

Anonymous said...

this is Kelly Israel,welcome to me friend's site.I Am here to report that all is well.May the Creater;the one most in this world calls GOD;bless you and yours and keep you safe.To see more wonderious works go to FACEBOOK,kisrael67@yahoo.com i gess...or MYSPACE,deadicateddetail.See or read from ya there.