Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Hand*Book vs. Moleskine


Ahh, how happy I was to find the Hand*Book sketchbooks. Same size, similar cover, similar weight pages--and so much cheaper than the Moleskine, especially with the 40%-off coupons. Because Hobby Lobby carries the Hand*Books, and it does not carry Moleskine.


Need I tell you that I printed out a bunch of coupons and bought a bunch of Hand*Books? Nah, I didn't think so.



And I finished my first Moleskine on the 31st of October and began the November Hand*Book, thinking I'd compare the two and see which I wanted to use. Or finding out I like them both and want to use both. Fun. Joy. Adventure.



What I found out is: I HATE the Hand*Books. I'd had some issues with coloring the pages, since they don't lie as flat as the Moleskine pages and so are hard to color with ink pads--they kind of pucker at the stitching. But I muddled through that one and bought some smaller raised felt pads at Stamp Antonio, so I figured I could deal with that. But then. Then! When I stamped letters, I noticed they feathered. Just ever so slightly, but y'all know me: I hated it.



And then. Then! The pages started sucking the ink out of my pens. The pens--Pigma Microns--started skipping because the pages are just too absorbent. And a little rough. Grrrrrr.




You can't really tell from photos. Here's the Hand*Book:
And here's the Moleskine:
Deceptive, even in Real Life. Sneaky bastards.

So here I am, 4 days into a brand new journal, all the pages carefully colored, etc., etc., etc. And I HATE it. Whereas (whereas!) I loved the Moleskine in September and couldn't wait to sit down and play in it every chance I got, I find myself avoiding this one like an new boyfriend you've discovered has bad breath and shoulder hair, plus really bad taste in music. It's just not going to work out, and I don't know how to break up (a problem I never had with actual boyfriends). Plus I don't want to break up before the end of the month--I mean, really: we've already made plans and bought tickets. But I don't know if I can stand the pain for 26 more days--I'm not good at masochism. Maybe it'll be The Substitute: you know, the one you call on for a date to your niece's Bat Mitzvah or the neighbor's Tupperware party, where you wouldn't want to take your Real Boyfriend, lest he run screaming down the street. I could paste in some photos, make some lists, scribble a little and call it done.
We'll see.
(My mother always said that when I was pestering her about something I wanted/wanted to do. She'd say, "Ummm. We'll see."
It meant, "Hell, no.")

9 comments:

Leau said...

My nephew used to say that "We'll see" now just meant "no" later. Pretty smart kid. Sorry about the faux moleskin, nothing like an original, eh?

Anonymous said...

I love my moleskine!
Like good chocolate there is no substitued for the real thing sometimes...

Saying "we'll" see gives me time to create some space in my head and think about the whatever...

aimee said...

my question is... how many handbooks DID you buy with those coupons?

Tita Moma said...

I'm so sorry you are not liking the hand book. Peggy.

Chris said...

Gee, I just bought one of those Handbooks. So far I've only drawn in pencil, made notes with a Micron and watercolored a bit. The page with the watercolor buckled bit more than I expected, but the next day was flatter and it doesn't bother me much. The Micron didn't bleed at all. Sorry you are so disappointed. Of course I've never sprung for a real Moleskine so I wouldn't know the difference.

Thien-Kim aka Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your review of the Handbooks. I was considering them after reading about them on Roz's site (I think). I love my moleskine. Too bad Amazon is out of the large sketchbooks right now. Grrr.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the sketchbook comparisons. I'm playing in my very first (but absolutely not the last)Moleskine journal. So far I've only drawn, written, and watercolored in it, but I love it, and I think that's what I'll stick with. :)

Kate said...

Rice,
Thanks for the Halloween post card you sent. Second it seems every time I buy a moleskine take off. It seems nice at first but they never seem to have the quality of the moleskines. I figure I am worth it to have good stuff so I always go for the rela thing.

Kate

Louise Perry said...

I actually LOVE the Handbooks <3
I live in the UK and have to buy them online for about the same price as a Moleskine (which I can buy from many places near where I live) I wish there were more retailers for them in England!
I've never found them to absorb my ink, in fact I found when using Faber Castell Brush Pens the Moleskine completely de-saturated my colours :(
I'm sorry you didn't like them!