Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Carla Sonheim on Creativity

Carla is a fabulous painter I met at Artfest, years ago. You can see her work here, and you can read her blog here. I adore her animal paintings~~
1. In your opinion, what is creativity?
I'm not sure. You know it when you see it, though. It can emerge in many forms — it's not only limited to visual expression — but that happens to be how mine manifests itself  (I'm not a creative cook or dresser, for example).
2. Where does it come from?
I think we are born with it, and that each of us are creative in some way. Some of us stifle it early on, but it's there. I like what Julia Cameron says: "We are, ourselves, creations... Creativity is God's gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God."
3. How can each of us access that creativity and make the most of it in our lives?
I think the most important thing is to accept that being creative is a valuable and worthwhile part of who we are as humans, and to not feel guilty taking the time necessary to explore it!

5 comments:

*jean* said...

i found you on youtube - your needle felted sweater is the cat's meow!! i like your videos cuz they're informative and short!! i'll be back to visit again...i see you've seen jill bolten taylor's insight video...isn't that just something??

~peace~

jean

Anonymous said...

Rice,
I'm really enjoying this series of conversations and your podcasts as well. And thanks to Jean, I finally found your youtube videos! What a treat! And, of course, the book is wonderful. I'm working to regain my sense of creative fun after a very long absence of same. I'm trying to mine every resource (probably in a not too subconscious effort not to start/fail) and my visits to your blog and your friends are really helpful in pushing me along. Thank you.
Kathy

anna maria said...

I particularly like her answer to #3, because I often find myself, while messing with glue and paint and so forth, suddenly asking myself why I am wasting time doing this instead of something more socially responsible. Seriously.

Alison said...

I am also enjoying these conversations, and the links you provide to their work. It's like a quick visit to an art gallery every day! (And a great creativity boost)
I'll second Anna Maria - the answer to #3 caught my attention. Trying to find a balance in life, without feeling guilty.
Thanks for these!
Alison

Karine said...

Hello Rice! I love that you interviewed Carla, since she is a dear friend and also one of my creative heroes. I love what she said in #2, about using our creativity being our gift back to God.

I am glad I stopped by. Keep up the inspirations!