My Photo
Midland, Texas, United States
I write. I make stuff.

FAQ's

Sunday, September 06, 2009

And on A Positive Note: Midland Downtown Farmers’ Market

Farmer Matt has been working hard to build up this little market, and it’s wonderful to see how it’s growing. We forget to go some weeks, and then when we do, we’re like, “Man, how can we miss this?”

The Ever-Gorgeous Earl bought melons and okra (for me) and talked to his former student about Friday night’s football game.

IMG_1839

(He’s eating these as I type this and says they’re really good. They smell terrific and are filling the house with melon-y sweetness.)

IMG_1838

{No, that’s not all ours.}

IMG_1841

IMG_1842

IMG_1843

Body care:

IMG_1844

Spices:

IMG_1846

IMG_1845

Bunny’s Bread:

IMG_1836

IMG_1837

She makes the most FABULOUS coconut cookies on the planet. Pack of 4, $2. I buy a package. I eat one, The EGE eats one, I quickquickquick give the other two away.

K9 Cottage Cookie Company:

IMG_1850

(they also make cat cookies, on the right):

 IMG_1849

Briley Mitchell’s photographs:

IMG_1835

IMG_1834

IMG_1859

He’ll have a booth next weekend at Septemberfest. He does fabulous work. This is my favorite because 1) it’s really there and 2) it always makes me laugh to think that it’s really there:

Marfa Prada

Carol Anderson’s jewelry:

IMG_1825

IMG_1826

IMG_1827

IMG_1828

IMG_1829

IMG_1830

IMG_1831

IMG_1832

IMG_1833

She’ll be at the antique show in Round Top in October.

Some new friends:

IMG_1851

IMG_1852

IMG_1853 

“OK, now I’m shy.”

 IMG_1856

 IMG_1855

So go to the Farmers’ Market. It’s on Saturday mornings, downtown, through the end of November. Okra’s coming in right now, and it’s fabulous. And cheap!

IMG_1847

6 comments:

Tecu'Mish said...

Rice, how do you cook your okra?
Thanks!

Ricë said...

i'll eat okra any way you do it, from raw to boiled. but The EGE hates the snottiness of it, so he does it the way they showed us at central market: slice it, saute it in a skillet with olive oil, and sprinkle on cumin while it's cooking, which--amazingly!--cuts all the snot. we were amazed at the demo of this. he likes his really crispy; i like mine before it gets burned (you can see we have Differeing Opinions About Okra, but it works out: he takes mine out and keeps cooking his.) try this and let me know what you think~~

Tecu'Mish said...

Thanks...now I have to find fresh okra here in northeast PA...I don't like the slime either and I love olive oil and cumin.

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

I went yesterday morning - sorry I missed seeing y'all!

Holly said...

Thanks for the reminder on the Farmer's Market! Lately I have been sleeping in, but when I go I feel like it's a gift I give to myself all week long-eating locally, that is.

By the way, I prefer my okra pickled.

Ricë said...

omigod, holly--just reading the words "pickled okra" mades my mouth water!