My Photo
Midland, Texas, United States
I write. I make stuff.

FAQ's

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Podcast with Carla Sonheim

I love Carla's work. For years I've had three little iron-on-transfers from her drawings--she sent them to me to use, but I couldn't bear to iron them on something I might wear out. Imagine how happy I was when she told me she had a book coming out--Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists, just released this month. Now, I've got a bunch of drawing books, and I've got a bunch of books by artists I know. But this is one of those I bought brand new, full-price, as soon as it came out. And I love it. Seriously. And nobody paid--or even asked--me to say that. I like it that much. While you can't use the "look inside" feature here, you can at amazon.com, so you can check it out for yourself.


And imagine how I was even happier when Carla agreed to talk to me about the book, her art, teaching. Yowza. And then she did the coolest thing--I ask her during the podcast if she'll offer an exercise for people who need just the tiniest bit of encouragement to draw something. I figured she'd suggest something from her book or her blog, but no:  she jumped right into the coolest guided exercise for you, right there: all you need is a pen or pencil or something to draw with (with which. . . ), or--if you want to do it like she has her students do it in class, a piece of cardstock and a Sharpie pen. Of course, you might want to grab your sketchbook and draw as you're listening to Carla talk. Then you'll want to go to her website and her blog.


As always, if you can't make this little player work (below), you can click on the podcasts over there in the sidebar, and it will take you to my podcast blog at libsyn. Or you can download any of the podcasts from iTunes at Notes from the Voodoo Lounge.


Now here's Carla--enjoy!

7 comments:

Marit said...

Wowzah! That book looks awesome and she's such a sweet lady! I loved your former post about pens too... if you find the perfect pen, please contact me immideately! I need it too!

Sharon said...

That was fun! You want to see my Picasso Dog? I posted it on my blog. Everyone should try it. I was "over thinking" my art ideas this morning and this simple little exercise freed me up. I'm thinking of making an art quilt out of it!

Sharon's Picasso Dog Link

Maria said...

I've had this book in my Amazon shopping cart for a couple weeks now, you pushed me over the edge, gracias!

Ricë said...

thanks for sharing, sharon--that is SO cool! i htink it would make a fabulous quilt--

juliet said...

great interview and i love my Picasso dog, too! he's just about perfect. perfectly me that is.

Deborah A. Dugan said...

Thanks for another wonderful interview, Ricë! I've been working through Carla's book and it was such a treat to hear her "real" voice. Finally drawing is fun again. I even ordered some PanPastels to try something new. Yay!

Juliette Crane said...

what a wonderful book and interview! thank you so much for sharing!

Ricë, i just can't say how much i love your books and how much they've really helped me live my most creative life. i am happy to have now found your blog too and can't stop reading and looking at everything. you are so incredibly inspiring! THANK YOU!

best always,
juliette