OK--in my new effort to show more photographs, here are some of a shrug I embellished. I bought this little denim shrug on sale last spring and started stitching it. I worked on it at the Summer Lawn Concerts at the museum each Sunday evening, where our friends kept jokingly asking me if I would ever finish. I began to wonder about that myself. I took it with us on the road, I worked on it in the evenings. I stitched, I appliequed, I beaded.
And then I finally quit--I was tired of it, and it just had to be Done.
And then I realized I don't really like the fit of this shrug all that much--this is where I learned A Very Valuable Lesson: before you start to embellish a garment, wear it a while. Make sure that you like it, that it's comfortable, that it fits, that it's not going to shrink or do something weird and funky.
The front looks pretty much like the back. There's a lot of beading around the bottom and the neck, and both are pretty covered with random seed stitches in various bright colors of embroidery floss--the seed stitch is one of my favorite stitches.
The applique is commercial batik--I have a bunch of scraps from other projects.
The front has a tie to hold it closed--because of the silly construction, with darts, it fits closely and needs to be tied to look good. Alas. This is kind of too "done" for me--but I went ahead and made a tie using silk ties I removed from a wrap-around skirt when I converted its closure to snaps.
Sorry I don't have any "before" photos or ones from the front, but you can see the important part--there's no applique or anything on the front, just the same stitching with beading in it.
Now for an apron show-and-tell, I hope~~