Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Other People's Fabulous Lives

OK. Is it just me, or do other people sometimes come away from a trip through The Land o' Blogs feeling just the tiniest, teeninsiest bit bummed? As in thinking, "My god, my life is pathetic. Mother was right; I should have married the doctor and moved to Topeka."

I don't spend a lot of time surfing around, reading random blogs and looking at people's photographs. I should, but I don't have time. The truth, of course, is that I could make the time (sleep is overrated, and who really needs to eat?), but I haven't, and I won't because, frankly, it depresses me. Maybe it does you, too. Or maybe it's just me, and maybe I need to get out more.

People's blogs, the blogs of people whose names we've all heard and whose books we've read and photographs we've admired--those blogs are full of Exciting News! New Projects! Fabulous Parties! They're filled with adventures in Argentina and speaking engagements in front of groups to which we've always secretly hoped to belong. There's news of new workshops and ebooks and online classes, all with fabulous photos and dozens of glowing comments from admiring and excited friends and fans.

We're taking all this in, sitting in front of the computer in a ratty concert t-shirt from 1987, drinking a can of ginger ale because, suddenly, for some odd reason, we can no longer eat pizza with impunity, and what's that all about, anyway? We look at everyone else's fabulous online lives and wonder if, maybe, the rest of the world has left us behind.

Short side trip: Just the other day I read some posts about some online snit between some people--a long-time editor and a new writer--and down at the end, a friend of the new writer, supporting her against the evil actions of the editor, said, derisively, "Old people. Gah." It yanked me to a dead stop. Until then, I had been thinking only about experience: long-time editor, brand-new writer. I hadn't considered age, as in "actual years on the planet." And then I realized that that right there is a sign of age: when you're young, age is everything. The younger you are, the more it matters. Remember when it was a big deal that, no, you weren't four; you were four and a HALF? Or when it was a big deal if you were 15 and dating someone 18 (something that never would have been allowed to happen in my house, even though that's the age difference between The EGE and me, not that either one of us ever brings that up in a little bit of a nyah-nyah-nyah-you're-an-OG kind of way. Of course not). And to twenty-somethings, it means rather a lot if you're over 40. I'm reminded of this all the time in conversation, and all I can do is think that everyone, eventually and if they live long enough, changes the way they think about age.

Anyway, this isn't about age, never mind that The Land o' Blogs is colored by the blush of youth. This is about those fabulous lives, the ones that make you despair of ever accomplishing anything so fabulous. If you read enough, you'll begin to think that everyone else everywhere is doing and having and being and going, all while you're sitting there reading about it.

Sure. Some people's lives truly are fabulous, in whatever way you define that. And all of us should craft a life that *we* our own selves find fabulous. But those lives you read about? Don't you wonder how so many of them can be so exciting, so flawless? Oh, sure, there's the occasional post about how they were worried about their baby's trouble with teething and lost a night's sleep but look: aren't those tiny little teeth adorable? And so worth it! And then the blogger goes on to wax eloquent about the trials and tribulations of new motherhood in such a way that you're ready to sign up for in vitro, never mind that you just got the last of your own kids into community college after paying off her parole officer. Or she writes about her divorce, sharing her innermost feelings and explaining how it was truly a blessing, deep down, because she's never felt so free and been so filled with creative energy.  No hint of impending financial doom or of catching the jerk in the hot tub with her cousin.

And do they even still make hot tubs?

You read about people being invited to participate in things that, until that minute, you'd 1) never heard of and 2) normally would have no interest in, but suddenly, suddenly, you want nothing more than to be invited. But you're not. You're left out, the girl who didn't get invited to the end-of-the-semester slumber party on the beach.

You know those photographs of bowls of Cheerios that make the cereal look so mouthwateringly yummy that you're in there digging through the pantry to see if you accidentally have a box? You know that, sure, those are actual Cheerios, but all that cool, creamy "milk" is actually white glue, artfully puddled to resemble milk. You know that, but it doesn't keep you from salivating.

Many blogs are like that: they have a base of realness, of real crunchy goodness, but it's entirely supported by a whole bunch of Elmer's glue. Popular blogs, just like websites and Facebook profiles and that tedious application you sent in to Match.com, are carefully crafted and polished and tweaked to a fare-thee-well. There are tutorials and magazines, workshops and groups and columns and gurus, all explaining exactly how to Grow Your Blog! Gain Followers! Raise Your Stats! There are surveys that track what kinds of things will get more pageviews and what kinds of topics are the death knell for blogs (I don't know what those are, but I'm guessing things like tapeworm infestation and cysts are pretty high on the list). There's so much advice out there: how to stage photo shoots, because Every Post Must Have a Photo. How to drive readership. Don't be too wordy! Link to everyone. How to create an online presence. On and on and on and on.

After a while, after you get over thinking there's this huge party and everyone else has been invited and you're stuck at home baby-sitting your nephews, after you get past that, you begin to wonder: is there any there there? Is any of this real, or has it all been crafted like the personalities of the contestants in the Miss America Pageant? (Because I don't know about you, but I don't believe every one of those girls has wanted to Serve the Homeless since she got out of diapers. But that's just me.)

And then there's the art, the projects, the stuff these people are making. You look at it, and you know it's been featured in books and magazines and online galleries and shows, and you look and you look and, frankly, you just don't get it. It looks just like X's stuff, which looks just like Y's stuff. Same colors, same facial expressions, same text, same theme.

Put it all together, and you start to believe there is this World, where everyone else seems to be dancing in time to the music, all on the beat and moving smoothly like one of those very, very ritualized dances from The Court of Louis the XIV, while you're over there in the coatroom doing the frug. Meaning nobody is ever, ever going to ask you to dance. Because you're the only one who remembers the frug.

Which, by the way, I was surprised to discover is not pronounced the way I'd always pronounced it, rhyming with "rug." Nope. It's "froog." Huh.

Anyway. What you have to keep in mind as you're surfing around The Land of Blogs is that everybody puts their best foot forward. Duh. They're not going to tell you about the boring bits, the ugly bits, the hugely disappointing bits. Sure, they'll talk of disappointment, but it's almost always in that "sure, I was devastated for a week, but then we went to Cozumel, and I'm so much better off without that contract after all." Or maybe they do, and their soul-baring is so intense, so leavened with humor, so tinged with pathos, that you're sucked in and ready to send in a donation to help with the therapy when you read that the blogger has just signed a multi-year contract for a daytime talk show and her first book has been translated into 43 languages.

 Many people are like me, dragged into blogging because Establishing an Online Presence it mandatory in the world of publishing. They're invested in having people read and return to their blogs. For me, it turned into Something Fun for Me To Do. Most people who get dragged into it, though, are more focused on their purpose. They work hard to post things that will work to their benefit, designing banners and filling sidebars and posting, posting, posting. In some cases, life becomes about the blog: having adventures planned in advance so they'll be bloggable, staging family photo shoots to be posted in installments; having conversations with friends just so they can be posted as Actual Dialog.

(This is one reason I don't carry my camera with me everywhere: I don't want my life to be about Photos for the Blog, because that's just scary.)

Once upon a time, people thought their lives were pretty much like the lives of most other people. They didn't travel much, and they lived in neighborhoods where people were pretty much like they were, with similar jobs and houses and cars. Then there came movies and tv and magazines, showing other lives, people with great teeth and fabulous cars and Three-Story Houses (because you can't, apparently, have a fabulous life in a split-level or a standard ranch). Suddenly we all began to doubt our own lives, the things we were interested in, the way we lived. Other people had more, were doing more, liked the same sort of style and art and entertainment. If you were savvy enough to realize that this was not about Other People's Lives but was, instead, about advertising, you might have been able to shake your head and keep on wearing the Bermuda shorts with the black socks, perfectly happy in your own special dorkiness.

And then came blogs, where even more people were posting about their lives and their stuff, and then you began to think maybe you were wrong. Maybe it's NOT about advertisers wanting you to want stuff you don't have and maybe it IS about everyone else just having a way better life than you do. It certainly seems so, what with this hundreds and thousands of bloggers, all leading amazing, entrancing, adventurous lives. Maybe you were wrong.

Nah. You were right the first time: it's all advertising. You know that. The most popular blogs aren't just raw, unedited glimpses into someone's life. Of course not. They're carefully crafted--often by someone who's paid to do so, at least in the designing-and-setting-up stage--to portray the blogger in a certain light and to make readers *think* they're getting an inside peek.

What to do? Well, I'm certainly not going to tell you to quit reading blogs. Duh. Then I'd be here all by myself, and lord knows I couldn't find anyone new to read what I write because I've violated who-knows-how-many-rules right here, being way, way too wordy and actually typing the words "tapeworm" and "cysts." So, no, I'm not going to tell you to push away from the monitor. But what I do suggest, ever-so-gently, is that you pay attention to how you feel after you visit the blogs you visit. Are you happy? Filled with energy? Bursting with ideas? Or are you grouchy, cynical, maybe just the tiniest bit depressed? Keep track of those things. See what makes you feel good--I'm thinking funny stories, cool tutorials, detailed process photos of projects, but that's just me--and bookmark those to visit. Resist the temptation to wander aimlessly through Blogland, with its wonderful rippling streams but also its dark and deceptively-enticing caves. It's a big world, and you'll want to have a map.

XO

38 comments:

Angie Traunig said...

AMEN. But you know what I've found interesting? Through all these facebook and twitter and blog 'relationships' we have with each other.... it's the people that are nice outside of the blog that inspire me. If I've sent someone a nice note with an honest compliment about their work or post and not ever received a 'thanks' or the like, then when I go to their blog it just makes me feel icky to see how 'happy' and 'fulfilled' they seem to be. But when I spend time reading a blog that is created by a person who is truly a nice and just fortunate and hard working individual, that's when I walk away feeling inspired and hopeful. (that includes YOU by the way Rice)

thanks

p.s. tapeworm cyst

Anhelo said...

I feel like this all the time. It's mostly "style" blogs that I find depressing. People that blog outfits and trips. I've been blogging since 2003 and I have always tried to avoid showing off about my life and just post what I have to post, call it tutorials, reviews, things I want to share. I can see what you mean, in every single word of this post.
Saludos!

flying fish said...

Pretty sure I did a death knell post showing my dogs pre-surgery tumor face! Oopsie.

I've noticed that the "cool" kids' blogs all have the same lighting on their all the same projects too. It's this bright white light from no direction at all, and I'm pretty sure I read that tutorial too.

Froog?

haphazardlife said...

Thing is it's so easy to edit one's life so it looks fabulous. Hell, I'm sure even I could edit things so my life looks fabulous on my blog.

But I simply don't have the energy or time; life takes up too much of both of those.

So what you see is what you get and what I get is definitely not 200 comments per post. But who the hell cares, I'm busy having a life.

- Jazz

donna!ee said...

bullseye, right on target once again. i appreciate your direct attention to detail. there are no flawless lives, perspective matters and marketing is trickery. thank you much for continuing to post from your sound & diverse perspective! :)

Ricë said...

Omigod, you people are FABULOUS. Angie, you made everyone in this house laugh out loud. Well, OK, some of us don't actually "laugh," not in the human manner, but I'm sure they snorted right along with me and The EGE. That p.s. is priceless!

Angie Traunig said...

Well I'm glad I put some good snorts out into the world today. You're post immediately inspired me to spill guts on my blog as well. Thanks! :)

see you there! said...

We all blog for different reasons it seems. I do it for conversation mainly. If I leave comments regularly and get no response I usually move on. I only have about 10 faithful readers but have now met 5 of them in person. Fun! I read a few of high volume blogs for the witty writing - yours inluded - but that's about it.

Darla

crimsoncat05 said...

thank you for this post! I get inspired by, then caught up in, then sucked into in the world of blogs for a while, start to feel icky about it, then stay away for a while till I get over it.It's a vicious cycle that somehow I can't seem to stay away from...

I have to remember that those people also sometimes have to clean out the litter box, have doggy digestive issues to deal with, and have non-fun "real life" things to handle, like mortgages, grocery bills, medical insurance, and car repairs. (hopefully, anyway: if not, at least let me have my fantasies about it... lol!)

Kim Hambric said...

You said it! You said all of those things I've been thinking.

Although I didn't know about the Elmer's Glue trick.

Anyway, I'm usually the one in the coatroom doing the Frug. Or I'm in the restroom checking to make sure nothing is hanging out of my nose.

I've been blogging less frequently lately. I haven't felt worthy. I haven't felt golden or glorious enough. I'll try to worry less and just say what I feel. And post a photo if I damn well feel like it.

Marcia said...

Totally agree! I've been feeling the same way ever since I've been sucked into reading art blogs.

Romilly said...

Hear hear! Thank you again, Ricë. Please keep posting "death knell" topics. It's what keeps people coming back, I'm sure.

I'm myself in my blog. Though I do try to keep it to needlework or bellydancing rather than my current ear infection...

Ricë said...

Thank y'all for reading, and for coming back. For many reasons, but here's another: in regular life, you can't really say the words "tapeworm" OR "cyst" without people running screaming from the room.

Romilly, sweetie, I'm so sorry about the ear infection. Ouch. Get better soon.

Zom said...

I don't read much of the 'perfect' blogs, I just look at the pictures, haha.

If I blogged about my outer life, people would fall asleep with boredom. I blog about what I find interesting, creativity!

Carol Leigh said...

I'm not getting the same feeling ("should have married the doctor and moved to Topeka"). I'm reading art blogs and, rather than feeling depressed and that I have no life, I'm feeling inspired! I LOVE the fact that people are MAKING things!

What DOES get me depressed, however, are blogs that, after the beginning of the new year, are lists of (a) what they DIDN'T accomplish, (b) what they DID accomplish, and (c) what they plan to accomplish THIS year. Now that is depressing. Their pressure becomes my pressure, and since I put too much pressure on myself, I can't take on any more. End-of-year synopses, analyses, and lists? Spare me.

The blogs I enjoy reading are those by working artists, giving me insight into their working lives. I love seeing paintings in progress. I love seeing the stages you go through in altering/creating some wonderfully "you" piece of clothing. I enjoy blogs that point me to other artists I would NEVER have known about.

Seeing so much art, seeing what people are creating, seeing so much talent is exhilarating, gives me ideas about my own art, and, above all, inspires.

Just don't talk to me about your New Year's resolutions. Or your tapeworm cysts! --Carol Leigh

Relished Artistry said...

It's interesting--Austin Kleon's famous blog post, How to Steal Like an Artist, suggests two things pertinent to this post, Ricë: 1) Be Boring, and 2) Creativity is Subtraction.

In essence, one should be boring as an artist because that means their simple life is filled with doing their art. It's fascinating to read about creative lifestyles, but in the end a centered artist isn't doing interesting things--they're working. What they find interesting isn't going to be what others find interesting. As long as I keep reminding myself of that fact, I don't feel so bad about my own boring life--I'm actually happier that I don't have much of a social life and an incredibly small circle of friends, and about the only time I leave my house is to get groceries! Yes!

Secondly, creatively expressing one's self is also about what an artist leaves OUT of their work. And by extension, their lives. What we don't see, of all the options at an artist's disposal and choices available to them, is just as important as what ends up in the work. I think that what we choose not to expose ourselves to is as important as what we end up letting into our brains. And for me, selectively editing input into my life from other fabulous lives and choosing not to indulge in their sharing is something I'm still working on, but I recognize as absolutely necessary for me to keep working as a creative person. It's hard. But I think that challenge is part of the essence of being an artist.

Julie Prichard said...

I liken this syndrome to the "friends" who do nothing except check in at fabulous restaurants over and over...and who blab about buying this and that.... a bore. At least I am thinner than most of them. Ha.

Reading the last comment made me chuckle too...be boring. Check. :)

Kathy said...

I did marry the doctor (though we didn't move to Topeka). He talked about tapeworms and cysts. The therapy was expensive. No one sent money. And I still haven't started a blog. But I think about it because I am truly, deeply boring.

Anonymous said...

A while back it was reported on the news that there is now a Facebook depression and it seems to come from the comparison syndrome that is so prevalent in our society. People go on Facebook and read amazing things about other people's lives and then feel like they don't measure up or are boring and it leaves them feeling sad and down. I think the same syndrome must be happening by looking at blogs. We must remember that this is an on line presence and not real life and anyone can make it appear any way that they want to. No one has a perfect life and every one has their struggles, heartaches and challenges.. everyone. I think the perfect on line presence that some people want to portray is rooted in actual insecurities. Why do these blogs have to get so personal? Why not make it about the art, the process and forget the pictures of the food, the kids, the new car or all of the other junk that has absolutely nothing to do with the creativity. If I follow a blog and it starts feeling a little bit too gooey, too perfect, too tickey boo, I move on. Being real, authentic and talented is a nice combo. It doesn't take much to spot a drama queen who is pitching a lot more than a sincere artistic journey. If it looks too good to be real, it most likely isn't real. Bravo to you Rice for saying things that we all think and exposing them for what they are. You are good at outing some topics that most fear to speak of.
Holly

Lynley said...

Thank you Rice for posting this - I'm a quilter and there is a very strong theme of gorgeous, brightly lit and beautifully shot quilts supported by fabulously decorated lives ... that tend to all look the same! Because of illness I am spending more much time on blogs at the moment than actually sewing anything and I think it's having a salutary effect. I can now spot anything original or different a mile off!!! And flick over the rest.

Holly W in TN said...

Eggs-zackly.

For me, reading most blogs is a lot like listening to the chat from a gaggle of teenagers (or is that a cyst of teenagers?)- lots of exclamation points, little actual substance. For me, any blog I read must either make me smile, think, or snort. The best ones make me do all three at once. Endless thanks, Ricë, for being the best of that category.

Marcie in Toledo said...

Right on, Ricë...once again. How timely. Thank you for giving me a spot-on verbal interpretation of what i have been feeling, but didnt quite know why or how to put it into words. I've just begun to start finding myself either 1) depressed because I am stuck in a crappy job, 2) totally thinking in my head as I am reading a saccharine blog....."R-I-I-I-I-GHT"....3) feeling like time is running out (aka "getting old") and I'd better get moving, "get done" with this phase so I can do what I really want...which is to be locked in a studio with endless possibilities and see what I come out with 6 months later...or 4) feeling inspired on occasion. I love your blog for so many reasons! You tell it like it is, you find good interesting art and artists, and then you interview them and ask them the questions we are all wondering about. Love, love, love your blog. You are a wonderful writer, thinker, do-er. That's why I always tune in to see what you have to say. I enjoy the posts about your clothing escapades, about your fantastic inspiring relationship with the EGE, your pet-kids, rants about the stuff we are all thinking, silly pet videos....it's one-stop shopping for all my needs...haha. So glad I found your blog.

Ricë said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for stopping by and taking time to read my wordiness and then telling me you like it. Y'all are proof to me that there ARE people who aren't afraid of Too Many Words. Most of my editors, who get lots of feedback and know this stuff, say people want images, not lots of words. I smile to myself and think, "There are some of us who, sure, like images, but we like words a LOT." XO

Kathryn Usher said...

I've been thinking about this awesome post! I try to be real on my blog but I'm guilty of making things shiny.

In honor of your thought provoking post I just did one on my armpits. I even gave you credit for the inspiration and linked to your original post.

I also pledge to be more real no matter how much it hurts my big artist ego.

ArtL8dY said...

I had a blog rant all saved up and I was going to post it on my blog but you've done such a good job there's no need.

And here I thought you had the perfect life in the perfect affordable Texas town with a perfect supportive husband…

My biggest blog complaint is that everyone is doing online classes and charging money for some of the stuff they used to post for free. I realize we all have to make a buck and some creatives put a lot of work into their classes, but when the main blog is all about the other online "private password protected pay for it" site, I stop checking in.

I blog because I like to keep a visual diary of my ideas, inspiration and projects. I'm happy to have others make a virtual visit.

Holly said...

Amen and Amen! I didn't just get caught up in all of this - I got tangled up in it. Horribly so. It took someone else pointing out to me that it all seems so serious and that it seems like I lost the fun along the way and how can we take the pressure off? She was right. I had put a lot of pressure on myself by reading too much advice in blogland, comparing myself way too much to other and trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. It completely blocked me.

Since then (three weeks ago) I made a conscious effort to "turn down the noise" so I can hear my own voice. I don't read quite as many blogs, I no longer go from ecourse to ecourse or workshop to workshop to learn the "next greatest thing". Since I have done this, I've seen my own creativity flourish. I am not having so much trouble with those art journal pages anymore. I am doing what works for me rather than what everyone else is doing and I am much happier that way. Thank you Rice for this well-timed post!

sandy said...

reminds me of when I get this bad feeling whenever I see a "staged home".

I want to see the home in the raw so I can imagine what my stuff will look like in the home...

donnaj said...

funny you post this-a friend recently asked if i thought that some of the blogs we read ever have a bad day? (she and i both blog) and i said hell yes! look at us-we have shitty days/weeks/months but it doesn't appear on our blogs-who wants to tell the world our 'issues?' :)
and the age thing-the closer i creep to 50, the more i feel like youth is thrown in our faces-mostly young skinny girls...and it tends to piss me off. so there.

Arika said...

I'm a new reader of your blog, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this post. I have blogged in the past but gave it up b/c my photos, my stories, my LIFE didn't feel "good" enough or "interesting" enough to share. So many blogs do make me feel bad about myself, and I never really put my finger on why until I read your post. I'm going to sit down tonight and delete a bunch of them off of my bookmarks.

MulticoloredPieces said...

I'm new to blogging and blogland, so have just happened upon your blog, thankfully. Your observations are so astute and your writing is so honest (and with such humor). As I live an isolated and very quiet life (ok, boring--despite what my blog might portray), I find the visual stimulation of the art/craft blogs marvelous. It's like going to an art exhibition everyday. On the other hand, getting sucked in can be a problem. Yet, it's so easy to just click through it all. Thanks for keeping it real.
best, nadia

Soraya Nulliah said...

Rice-I laughed so hard reading this post...and there are gems of truth here too. I absolutely know what you mean and try to avoid those blogs at all costs. Its as if there is a clique that you can't get into but...everyone want to. I am a mixed media artist and, for me, blogging and reading blogs has opened up my world. I think that blogs are mirrors and when i read one...whether I feel inspired to create/dream/live a more art-FULL life or whether I feel jealous/inadequate/insecure...I feel that's just a reflection of what's going on inside of me. I really don't want to live in a picture perfect house/life/world and I know that no-one has a perfect life. For me personally...I don't want to visit a blog and see a yucky pic like of...dirty diapers(!!!)...yup...seen that!!! And I don't want to read a post all about whining/therapy session etc. I love posts that inspire and make me think. Now...I have taken e-courses that have been so lacking in content, questions unanswered...and all about promoting their next best thing...but that's another story:)
But this post has got me thinking and maybe... I am going to write a blog post about it!!! Soraya

Anonymous said...

And here I've been fruggin' away in the coatroom all these years and never knew there was anyone else here. Thank God for us fruggers!! ;D

Cate in Dundee

PS Rice. You. ROCK.

Ricë said...

Thank you , Cate! XO

oneartistjournal said...

You crack me up, you always do..
Orly

MulticoloredPieces said...

Ok, I'm back again after having reflected for several days. It is a sign of a good article if it generates response and debate. As I mentioned previously, I agree with what you wrote about blogland. First, allow me to establish my credentials so you don't think I'm talking off the top of my hat. I research and write on women's history/writing in the Maghreb (Tunisia in particular), but I find that things are pretty much the same everyplace with only some regional differences.
On to my comments. It seems to me you've glossed over one important aspect of blogland and that is "community". In a patriarchal world where women still get the short end of it, I find that women's resilience is impressive. Cultural history shows that when new technologies appear (radio, TV, and now internet), women find ways of using those technologies to carve out a space for themselves. The so-called "nuclear family" destroyed earlier women's communities requiring new ways of acquiring agency, demonstrating that women cannot be defined as victims. Lately I have run across diverse groups of women who share an interest and may meet at events. There are quite a number of moms-at-home and retired women reaching out as well. Community, community...
Another aspect, I find extremely interesting is the ability of women to create some kind of on-line business that overflows into blogland--in home decor or interior design or selling art/craft work, etc. The argument can be made that women are being marginalized in the marketplace by confining themselves to such activities, or that there is a parallel women's market developing-- interesting questions that would require research.
I'll get off my soapbox. I'd enjoy hearing your comments. I may have to address this on my blog. Thanks for the great article.
best, nadia

Ricë said...

Very thoughtful, Nadia. And interesting. I'm sure you've done way more thinking and research than I have. My own experience is different. I grew up with boys. My mother grew up a tomboy, independent and willful. I never felt like a victim or as if there were anything I couldn't do, and I never had a community of girl friends. So my perspective is different. I like the sense of artistic community, but I wouldn't want any community that was limited to just women.

Carola Bartz said...

What an interesting and hilarious post. I had to laugh a lot while reading it - and found a lot of truth as well.
I have been blogging for a year now, and for me it has opened up a new world. I feel attracted to blogs that inspire me by their originality; blogs that keep me thinking; blogs where I find kindred spirits. I love to comment on other blogs, but if there is no response after several comments I just don't visit them anymore. Luckily I don't read home decor blogs - my own home is so chaotic and it won't change since I can't change my family, so why should I bother with those perfect places?
What I like: honesty, humour, inspiring art, beautiful photos (I'm a photographer myself), thoughtfulness. I myself would love to write more thoughtful posts, but I'm not a native speaker and often struggle with the right expression.
I do enjoy blogging and the blogosphere - but when I feel it's taking over I take a break.
Thank you for this wonderful post. I think I'll look at my blog a bit differently from now on - although I'm quite happy with it.

Beth Handley said...

Hello, I'm not new to blogging but I'm still finding my voice and working out what I want the blog to be. Your honest post really echoes some of my observations about blogs and about myself. I really want to post my work and get it seen, I want community, and I think I want other things too but don't know what they are yet. Good stuff.