My Photo
Midland, Texas, United States
I write. I make stuff.

FAQ's

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Podcast with Jen Cushman: What the Heck Are QR Codes, Anyway?

When I've got a question about technology and want it explained in language that makes sense to people like me, as opposed to, oh, adolescent gamers and weird hermit hacker people, I ask Jen. Hey, I think that needs to be a column: Ask Jen.
I'll get right on that.

In the meantime, here's a podcast we just finished about QR codes. If you've been hanging out with us here at The Voodoo Cafe lately, you know I'm all about the QR code I made for my book trailer video for Destination: Creativity. I worked hard, and I love it, and I want everyone on the planet to watch it and get the earworm that plagues me after every time I watch it.



Here's a site where you can make your own code for free; it's the site I used for my book trailer video code. And another, kaywa, that's popular. To get a free reader for your smartphone, go to your phone's app store and search for "QR code readers." I like "i-nigma," but there are more to choose from. I like it best because it's faster and doesn't require additional clicks to get you there. Check out several before you settle on one--they're free, so it's no big deal.

Here's Jen's own QR tag (for this, you'll want a QR tag reader):
And my code:

 To find out more about Jen, check out her website, her blog, and her column at CreateMixedMedia.com. As always, you can listen here, on the little player below, or over in the sidebar, or at my podcast blog, here.

3 comments:

peggy gatto said...

I just got your book from amazon 3 days ago.
I am enjoying all the tid-bits and the stories of the different journeys. I have taken classes from Michael and Jesse and learned so much from both. Of course, I liked the fun part too!
Thanks for my new book!

creativegoddess said...

AWESOME information ladies! Thanks!

Lori said...

Great info -- thanks for sharing.

One of the coolest applications of QR codes I've seen so far out in the wild is at our local outdoor shopping "mall." They have *gorgeous* landscaping and potted plants from one of the local nurseries. Each bed & planter has a QR code tag in it, and when you snap the code, you get information on all the different things that are in that planter/bed -- fantastic for us garden geeks who want to know what stuff is.

I could see QR codes on jewelry or clothing or other art that might show one aspect of how it was made