Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Quick Mid-Week Update & A Reminder

First, the reminder: this afternoon at 3:28-3:55 pm Central Time (4:28 Eastern, 1:28 Pacific), I'll be a guest on Mark Lipinski's radio show, Creative Mojo. You can go here to listen to us live. We're going to talk about creativity and my book, Destination Creativity, and who knows what else--well, Mark may know, but I have no idea. It'll be fun, though: I met Mark several years ago at the International Quilt Festival in Houston and convinced him to let me write an article for his magazine, Quilter's Home. I can't remember exactly what it was about, but something about--duh--creativity. So it was fun when he contacted me a couple weeks ago and asked me to be a guest. I can't wait to see what we talk about, and I hope you can join us.

Then the update. I showed you the linen skirt I cut off:
 I cut the sleeves off the t-shirt (not the tank in the photo, but a large regular t) and used those to make these shapes--my version of a paisley, sort of. I ironed them in place w/fusible webbing--I may not do that next time but wanted to get the placement right for this one. In the photo it looks like I ironed them on top of wrinkles, but no--just a weird effect of ironing linen--
 and started stitching, which I love: easy, satisfying, calming.
 I want to add appliqués to the shawl/poncho thing, too, but first I want to see if I can make a tank top from the Alabama Chanin pattern in the book, Alabama Studio Sewing + Design, using the now-sleeveless t-shirt. I can't make more appliqués until I see how much of the shirt I'll need for the tank. The patterns included in the book are a true mess:  all the patterns overlaid on top of each other in every size. You're supposed to photocopy it several times and cut it out, but that's not going to happen--it would require a trip to the copy shop, paying money for an oversized copy, and then STILL having all those extraneous lines from the other patterns, which would make me nuts.
 Nope. I've got a roll of tracing paper, and I'm going to trace out the pattern pieces I need because--and this is where it gets fun: I don't like either of the sleeveless top patterns. The fitted top is too low-cut in both front and back. It looks like the models wearing this are all going without a bra--a regular bra would show under this top, and I have no use for something so skimpy. The regular tank, on the other hand, is too far in the other direction: straps too wide, neck too high. Sigh. So I'm going to have to tweak the pattern, both front and back. And who knows how that will go, seeing as how I know nothing about drafting patterns and don't even know what that means. But I've never sewn with a pattern that I didn't alter--I think I'm constitutionally unable to follow a pattern exactly. Seriously. It makes me itch just thinking about taking a pattern and using it as is. Eeeeeeeeeeee~~

So I'll make a pattern and cut out the pieces from the t-shirt and see how much I have left over for making more appliqués.

But first I have work to do--a deadline to meet and a meeting and then talking to Mark~~fun day, but busy, so I don't know if I'll actually get the pattern cut out today or not. I hope so: putting up the big table and getting in on risers is a pain in the butt, and I hope I can do all I need to on it today so I don't have to put it up tomorrow. Lazy me~~

Hope you've got something fun in store at some point in your Wednesday~~we'd love to hear about it! XO

5 comments:

Elizabeth Bennett said...

Those Alabama Chainin patterns just freak me out. I was trying to get an idea about one of the patterns (bolero, maybe?) and I pulled the sheets out and saw how they were all scrambled together. Aack! It's like a connect the dots puzzle for geeks. I'm kind of looking at them and copying my own too...

Love the stitched applique on the skirt. Funny, when I saw the first pictures with the fused appliques (not stitched) I was not bowled over, but then the stitched ones, yummo! Have fun on the radio!

Ricë said...

Oh, yeah--they're pretty lame just as iron-on appliqués. Bleah. If I still like the skirt (I've never actually worn it--violating my own Rules for Altering Your Wardrobe), I plan to add more stitching plus beads plus who-knows-what. Like on page 169 in her first book where she talks about just keeping adding on. I LOVE that. I keep meaning to blog it, in fact--

Carol said...

I'll soon be starting another panel in my skirt - but see here for my hemming ala you!
http://taraegon.blogspot.com/2012/04/crappy-ratty-gauze-skirt-applique-day-7.html

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

I really enjoyed listening to your interview on Creative Mojo today with Mark Lipinski. Your wonderful attitude toward life is SO refreshing!
Thank you for talking about being unconventional.
Let's hear it for menopause! LOL

Ricë said...

Thanks for listening, Leslie--it was really fun to be on the other side of the mic for a change--Mark is always a hoot~~