Thursday, May 24, 2012

Podcast with Becki Smith

I love talking to Becki. Not only is she way cool, but she makes me feel sane: knowing that the gritches I have about living in this town in the West Texas Desert are not just about me but are, in fact, shared by other people who don't quite fit in? Pricless, indeed.

You may have seen these photos before, posted when The EGE and I visited Becki's new studio in 2007. I love them--I'd love to post every one he took so you could have the experience of visiting this amazing place and seeing more of Becki's work. Those are some of her paintings on the wall behind her head:

Did I mention cool? I love the way she dresses (Keens, lots of linen), I love her art,




her studio,

 her vast and amazing collection of Stuff. Oh, my.

 This totally creeped me out, so you know I adore it.

 One of the color drawers. Black.




 Another color drawer: blue.
Do you know what this is?

This conversation did, indeed, feed my soul. Hearing her talk about things nobody else ever talks about was like a balm for me. If you live in a place like Midland/Odessa, and you love your house and, like me, couldn't ever afford one like it anywhere else in the country, what are you going to do? If you're Becki, you find a way to make an oasis for yourself, a place that nourishes your creative spirit and provides you with the atmosphere and energy you need to make what you make. I hope you enjoy our conversation as much as I did. I keep listening to it, nodding, going, "Ahhhhh." 



Here's her website where you can see more of her work. 
Thanks, Becki!  XO

17 comments:

Boot ~C said...

what a fabulous studio, ( I love to see studios like this FULL of Really Cool Things, thnx) & if I had to guess about the bag? I'd say ball sac of some kind of animal made into a purse.

Ricë said...

A bull, I think. Ick, huh? But cool!

gatheress said...

I loved listening to you both. You really captured the essence of my experience living in the desert and the importance of creating an oasis for yourself. Wonderful!

Ricë said...

Thank you so much for listening! I loved having this conversation SO much~~

Sharon Robb-Chism said...

Loved this. I listened to it three times while I made a necklace.

Beatrice, Bea, Bibi--That's me! said...

Incredible conversation with Becki! What she was saying about creating your own paradise/oasis was spot on!! Your podcasts rock!!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Great podcast. Really enjoyed it because I live on a small farm in the middle of nowhere, and love it. You, yourself are proof that a creative life is feasible no matter what.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Wendy said...

I saved listening to the podcast until now - Saturday morning, sitting in the sun in my own oasis, knitting, with a pot of coffee by my side - oh bliss! I didn't even notice that it clouded over during the podcast - I was so interested.

emily said...

I'm a farm girl, it looks like the hair "sack" from a bull.

Ricë said...

Yep, I think that's what it is--made into a purse! Nope, not sow's ears. . . .

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or less!) said...

what an interesting studio & interview ... is that a jar of locusts?

Zom said...

Did I miss the link to her art?

Ricë said...

Thanks, Zom--I seem to have forgotten the link. I put it there now--thank you SO much for catching that and alerting me~~XO

Ricë said...

Lisa, I'm not sure *what* those are. Some kind of exoskeleton, is all I know~~

ArtL8dY said...

She was talking about the objects of curiosity and the room in Houston is at the Menil Collection. Complementing this collection is Witnesses to a Surrealist Vision, a “room of wonders” within the Surrealism galleries displaying the types of exotic curiosities that captivated and inspired these artists.

http://www.menil.org/collection/dadasurrealism2.php

moongipsies said...

so awesome. Thanks for posting.

Ricë said...

Totally cool! Thanks for the link--