My Photo
Midland, Texas, United States
I write. I make stuff.

FAQ's

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Voodoo Serpent Skirt

I am so, so sorry: I have been meaning to show you this project for WEEKS now, ever since we got back from Quilt Festival. I finished this skirt on the road trip down--I beaded for, like, eight hours straight--and The EGE got some photos, and I kept thinking, "I'll do it today. OK, then, tomorrow. I swear: tomorrow!!"

But it didn't happen. I'm still stitching like a madwoman. I set the deadlines I have to meet for the day, and as soon as those are done, I start the base work for one of the As-Yet-Un-named Things I'm making. Whatever-they-are. I'm working on three simultaneously, and I hope to finish them soon so I can show you (and so I can start on the next batch, which will not--NOT--involved pinwale corduroy, which is ruining my life).

But. But! I have photos, and here they are. This is one of the Alabama Chanin pattern skirts, the pattern totally tweaked to fit me perfectly. You saw some of them here:
The red one on the end is now this:

 The outfit looks a little dorky; the photo was taken outside in Houston, where it was in the 80s. But I was dressed for inside the coliseum, where it's about -22 degrees, I swear. Here, I had the black rayon velvet Double D Ranch jacket over my shoulder; inside, I wore it. Also Danskin leggings and leather boots. So forgive the mis-matched-ness of the outfit (short-sleeved t-shirt + boots + leggings), please.
Everything is appliquéd, and every stitch was done by hand. It's all t-shirts. The appliqués were cut out and fused with webbing and then stitched securely. His eyes are totally beaded. His tongue is a loose piece of self-curled fabric--it will probably have to be replaced after the first laundering (yes, I intend to run it through the washer and dryer, inside out).
The back.
You should be able to click to enlarge.

Of course, if I did it again, I'd do it differently. I keep trying to create the serpent in my imagination, and I keep not getting there. Eventually, though, I think I'll get it. On a coat or jacket, perhaps. Each time, I learn something about scale and placement. It never looks like I imagine it will, but it's always an adventure. 

XO 

16 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Rice I love it! Its one of my favorite pieces of yours! You must get so many comments and compliments when you wear it! Hugs! deb

Ricë said...

Thanks, Deb! I've only worn it the one time, and of course everyone at Festival notices and comments on clothes. Just one of the reasons it's so much fun!
XO

Zom said...

I think the placement is great. I love the way he wraps around your hips. The skirt fits like it was made for you (tee hee)

I am dying of curiosity, what is happening with all the corduroy? The skirt isn't corduroy, the applique isn't. What are you secretly making with the corduroy?

I have been putting doilies on the back of clothing. I was in the thrift store yesterday buying more doilies. I turned around and showed the elderly ladies at the counter what I was doing with them. They were not impressed, it was very disappointing.

Carol said...

squeeeeee!!!! I LOVE the serpent skirt. What fun, what delight, what joy it brings me looking at those photos.

The Dog River Cat House Studio said...

Love this! Love the colors, design, lettering. I'll be interested to see the next incarnation, too,

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

I love, love, love it! I wish I'd seen you in it, at Festival ... would have loved to meet you, but you were heading into Houston just as I was leaving!

Your creativity is a big inspiration to me.

Sea Mist and Sunsets said...

Excellent! This skirt is one of my favs too. Love how well the skirt shape and drap holds up with all the appliques. More of that knit on knit magic. So glad you shared this with us. THANKS!

Tammy said...

Wow! Great skirt!

Julie said...

Wow, i love it! It all looks great, the snake, the colours, the lettering - really striking! I'm so inspired!!

Marcie in Toledo said...

Wow, THAT is Amazing! I would totally stop a stranger wearing that and ask where she got it...love it.

Wendy @ the Late Start Studio said...

Beautiful! Striking . . . well lets hope it doesn't.

Ricë said...

Hee! Wendy made me laugh~~

Ricë said...

Thanks, y'all--it was fun to do, and *I* can't wait to see what happens next, too. Zom: I'm working as fast as I can to finish these (3) that involve corduroy. Oy, what a mess! I remember (!) my mother's hatred of working with it, and now I also remember why.

Suella said...

Highly impressive. Very nicely stitched, and even better designed. I like this best of your stitched skirts so far.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!!
Gadzooks, but you give me a lot to appreciate!

Marilyn the Art Appreciator

Rylee55 said...

Ricë, I love this - it works so well!!!
But... who says you can't wear leggings and boots with a tee and a skirt? I do that myself, and think it looks fantastic. IMNSHO, if one is creating one's own fashions, one can create one's own rules as well - so rock on!!!