Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Whew.

I have to admit that I was more than a little worried about this experiment from yesterday. This:

was just too horrid for me to live with, but I was reallyreallyreally concerned that there was way too much green in it for it to go any other color--the dye is transparent, remember, not even remotely opaque like paint such as Lumiere or Neopaque. So it doesn't cover up color; it blends with color. I did not want yet another green tunic, so I just bit the bullet and dumped it in the dye bath that produced these:

 
This was three pair of PFD (prepared for dyeing, from DharmaTrading.com) white socks, a length of orange linen (on top), then white cotton jersey, and--on the bottom--orange cotton jersey. Here's what I did: I put the socks (two pair banded with thin rubber bands, one pair loose) and the reddish jersey in at the beginning of the dye bath. The orange linen and the the orange jersey were already dyed, but I wanted to pump them up a tiny bit, so I dumped them in at the very end, way after I'd added the soda ash, right before I drained and rinsed. It wasn't long enough for them to be dyed the color of everything else, but it boosted the orange just a tiny bit toward red, which is exactly what I wanted.

So I added that mustard tunic (at the very beginning), holding my breath, and here's what I got. I am beyond thrilled.


 It's not going to be my favorite color, but to go from this, which, in real life was more mustard, less green:

to this?

Beyond satisfactory.

Today: the grey-mushroom ruffled dress. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one, too~~

6 comments:

Beatrice, Bea, Bibi--That's me! said...

you inspire me to try this!! I have a jacket (ivory) that I want to totally redo (right now, it looks like a clown top) but first it needs a dye job. I am inspired!!!! :)

Ricë said...

Good luck! Make sure it's a natural fiber, and if you have any questions, call and ask the nice people at Dharma. I love them--they've answered a ton of questions for me about color, size, etc.

Zom said...

Dying is so great. Quick change. A fabulous colour.

Do you have any trouble with fading? I dyed a linen top purple, looked great. I had it waiting for some refashioning and I guess too much light got on it and it started fading. I thought Dylon cold dye wouldn't fade.

pattisjarrett said...

I like how this one turned out!

Michelle said...

I love the new colour too! I haven't done any dying, so I didn't realise that colours blend rather than coat.

Caroline Berk said...

Great new color! So so much better. I think that you are gonna be going to this garment time and again.